Monday, March 18, 2013

Flower Power


Today I decided to study a flower's reproductive organs. I had wanted to know how plants reproduce.

First I went to find a hibiscus in a park near my house. When I got home I cut the hibiscus in half. I used a cutter to slice the flower longitudinally. I followed the instructions from a workbook called Science Smart.

We also used a hand lens.

Inside the flower I saw an ovule (the yellow thing). The ovule keeps the female reproductive part which is called the egg. Slightly above it (the stem like thing) is the ovary. It contains and protects the ovules.

At the very top is the Stigma. Stigmas are usually found in the centre of the flower, covered in a sticky substance to allow pollen grains to stick to them.




This is a perfect flower.


The Hibiscus I found was a 'perfect flower' because it has both the female and male organs (Stamen & Carpel). There are also imperfect flowers that have only one reproduction organ. This is something I just learned about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment